Donald H. Steward (1946-47)

After graduating from George Williams College with a bachelor of philosophy degree in 1930, Donald H. Steward was offered a position as Assistant Registrar at Central YMCA College in Chicago, Illinois. The following year he was promoted to Registrar and remained as such until the school closed in 1945. During his first three years of service at Central YMCA, Mr. Steward earned an additional bachelor’s degree as well as a Master of Arts from the University of Chicago in 1933. While in school, he was inducted into the honor societies of Kappa Delta Pi and Phi Delta Kappa. In June 1934, Mr. Steward’s work, “A Flexible Grading System” was published in the Bulletin of the American Association of Collegiate Registrars.

After the closing of the Central YMCA College in 1945, Mr. Steward helped to found Roosevelt University. He was fundamental in the accreditation of the school, and served as its first registrar. Mr. Steward attended his first meeting of the Illinois Association of College Registrars and Admissions Officers in 1930 and was elected as President of IACRAO for the 1946-47 term. In later years he attended meetings of the American Association of College Registrars and Admissions Officers as well as the National Conference on Higher Education. In addition to his duties as Registrar at Roosevelt University, Mr. Steward was an associate professor of education, with his focus in statistics. He was made an honorary member of the Illinois Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers in October 1964.

Donald H. Steward retired from Roosevelt University in 1969 but continued teaching extension courses until 1974. In his personal life Mr. Steward was very involved in the Disciples Divinity House at the University of Chicago. He served terms as the church’s secretary and treasurer as well as serving on their board of trustees for 37 years. He is known around the university for his woodworking hobby and a variety of woodworking miniatures he created.

(b. November 9, 1905; d. April 1, 1987)