Cliff Guild (1929-1930)

Cliff Guild, born in Watseka, Illinois, earned a Bachelor of Science degree from Hedding College in Abingdon in 1892 and a master's degree in 1895. He took postgraduate work at the University of Chicago. Mr. Guild taught at Abingdon, and then went into the hardware and lumber business in Watseka until 1905 when he joined the faculty of Illinois Wesleyan University as chairperson for the department of mathematics. He held that position until 1920 when he became secretary of the board of trustees, bursar, and registrar.

While holding the various positions at Illinois Wesslyan Mr. Guild came in direct contact with nearly every student between 1920 and 1943. When a committee at Illinois Wesleyan was charged with compiling information for a historical record, Mr. Guild was one of the chief sources of information. Not only could he recall the individuals and events but he also kept records to which he could turn.

Mr. Guild was one of the leaders in the movement for the uniting of Illinois Wesleyan University and Hedding college after Hedding closed its doors. He retired as professor emeritus in 1940 but remained a the university for three more years as a member of the board and head of the bookstore. In 1942 he retired and moved to Alabama.

Mr. Guild was a charter member of Arts and Crafts as well as active in the College Alumin Club and a member of his church.